Saturday 14 July 2012

Brick Wall? No, just a give way sign

WOW! I cant believe it. I knocked down a brick wall that has been blocking me for the past 30 years.. and the solution was so easy, I cant believe I didn't try it earlier. The Scenario is this: My Grandfather Len, Two sisters - Beatrice and Florence, One brother Ernest, and a step sister, Elizabeth (daughter of Mary). 

 My GF Len, always knew there was some mystery surrounding his birth, but never really knew what. He has asked the question of who his "real" parents were, and the response "no need to worry, you are a True Holford". As Len clearly has the family looks, this statement appeared to be true. Len was very close to Florence (who was 15 years his senior and the youngest of his siblings) so naturally, we surmised that perhaps Florence was really his mother. This was "fed" by the fact that Len received quite a reasonable inheritance when Floreid and her husband Andrew passed.

 I searched and searched to no avail. NO listing for Len Holford, nor Len Rooney (Florence's married name), nor any other listing with Holford and variants in the mother (Beatrice, Florence, etc). Then last week, a suggestion in a course I am currently enrolled in (Australian BDM by National Institute of Genealogical Studies) said "I have been known to only enter a Christian name" so I thought why not, give it a go, and bugger me there he was! Len Fitzgerald.. same date he was born, different location to what we had been told, mother: Elizabeth Annie Fitzgerald - his step sister!

 Now why did we not try this earlier? partly because Elizabeth was always known as Holford, she was not a very attractive young lady and yet Ernest was quite handsome, plus they were related. Not by blood of course, but still.. So people, if you have that elusive one and you think you have tried everything, try the Christian name only. :)

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine how excited you were. It certainly helps if you can leave the surname field blank when searching birth indexes on the Internet or on CD-ROM. This is one of the tips I included in my mini-guide 'Researching Illegitimate Children'.

    ReplyDelete